Some interesting facts about 2018 Host City Minsk14 November 2018 at 17:31 CET
Minsk is the capital and largest city of Belarus and will host the Junior Eurovision Song Contest for the second time. The city hosted the competition for the first time in 2010.
The city of Minsk is home to about 20% of Belarus' population, almost two million people get to call Minsk their home town. This makes Minsk the 11th most populous city in Europe.
Did you know?
- Minsk is a large industrial centre. The city produces 16% of the total volume of industrial output and it has over 250 factories and plants.
- The average degree in Celcius in November is 2.9 °C. Make sure to bring a warm coat with you!
- Minsk is the major cultural centre of Belarus, with its first theatres and libraries being established in the middle of the 19th century. The city now has 11 theatres and 16 museums. There are 20 cinemas and 139 libraries.
- If you need to get around the city, public transport is the best way to do so. The city has many bus lines, trolley buses, trams and taxi's. It also is the only city in Belarus with a metro line!
- Minsk is a modern European city, but has a rich historial architectural heritage. Take the Upper Town for example: it has been inhabited since the 12th century. A majestic view of Nemiga river opens from the Upper Town where one can enjoy a beautiful panorama of Minsk.